BOM Flowers

BOM Flowers
I love quilts

Saturday, June 26, 2010

Apple Core Quilt


I'm making great progress in getting things finished up. I finished this Apple Core quilt. I think I may give it to our neighbor, Mrs. Levine. This quilt was made using the Quiltsmart foundation. It produced a nice quilt, but I did not really enjoy the process and would not recommend it. You begin by making a quilt top of squares, 8", I believe. Then you use the Quiltsmart foundation to make about 100 finished edged apple core shapes, that have a fusible backing. You then press the finished apple core shapes to the pieced background. As you press these on, they create an apple core shape from the background fabric. This is hard to explain. After all the apple cores were pressed onto the pieced background, I went over every seam with a zigzag stitch to hold the appliques in place. Then I was confounded as to how to quilt it. I was not looking forward to trying to do it on my machine, but my machine quilter was not inclined to do anything "in the ditch" and I really did not want an all-over quilt pattern. I had the sandwich all basted and so one day I decided to try a decorative stitch over top of the zigzag and try doing it on my machine. Once I started, and really liked the look of the decorative stitch, I was motivated to keep sewing and within a day or two, I had it done. Then all I had to do was sew on the binding. I really love the quilt, but did not enjoy the process.

No comments:

Post a Comment