BOM Flowers

BOM Flowers
I love quilts

Saturday, June 26, 2010

How many hours do you sew?

Yesterday I took my machine to Hinkletown Sewing Machine Shop for it's annual service. On the Bernina, they can tell you how many hours your machine has on it when they service it. I asked them to tell me how many hours I had. While it was being serviced, we were trying to guess how many hours mine had. I guessed an average of 5 hours a week for two years and came up with an estimate of 500 hours. I knew, or course, that it was only actual sewing hours, but when I was told that my machine had only 58 hours, I was shocked. The girl said, "it's only when the needle is going up and down." Still this seemed like nothing. But then last night I went up to the sewing room and was piecing some flying geese and making sashing strips. Everything was cut when I went up, so I was just putting the pieces together, sewing a short seam, pressing and repeating. I worked about 75-90 minutes. Then I thought about what I had done and I figured that if I was just sewing on seam the length of all the little seams I'd made, it would have not taken me more than 5 minutes, if that. So, in 75 minutes, I had probably 5 minutes of machine time. At that ratio, my 58 hours would equate to 870 hours at the machine. I think I'm losing it, to even be thinking about this. Help, I'm obsessed !

No comments:

Post a Comment